Harvey Heritage CBD Walking Trail

Harvey reflects a rich tapestry from the traditional Bindjareb land owners, to the colonial settlers, citrus growers, dairy farmers, timbercutters and Italian internees.

Wander through the charming town of Harvey, where the streets and heritage buildings whisper tales of the past.

Whether you’re an avid historian or simply seeking an escape into the past, this Harvey Heritage Trails promises an insightful and inspiring passage through the Region.

1. Harvey Railway Station Precinct and Museum

The Harvey Railway Station has been the central point of activity for the district since 1893.

2. Old Harvey Post Office and Exchange 1923

The old Harvey Post Office and Telephone Exchange was Harvey’s fourth post office until 1957. This building replaces the Harvey Wooden Cottage Post Office.

 

3. Austins Harvey B& B 1912

Austins Harvey is set within the grounds of the beautiful, historic Devonia Homestead on Harper Street in Harvey, which was established in 1912.

4. Dr Henry Frederick Harvey 

As you walk past Harvey Street, remember Dr Harvey, who, with Dr Hayward, was the driving force behind the development of Harvey.

5. Harvey Goods Shed 1900

As you walk past Harvey Street, remember Dr Harvey, who, with Dr Hayward, was the driving force behind the development of Harvey.

6. Harvey District Hospital 1933

With the growth of agriculture and Harvey River Diversion Drain works, the Minister for Health W.H. Kitson opened a much-needed Harvey District Hospital in 1933.

7. Harvey Fruit Packing Shed Historic Site 1914

Thousands of cases of oranges went through this shed, built by Associated Fruitgrowers’ Ltd, on their way to the Perth markets.

8. Former Harvey Post Office & Exchange 1957

This imposing two-storey structure built in 1957 was once a focal point in Harvey, operating as Harvey’s fifth post office for 39 years.

9. Markham Shops Historic Site 1927 & Markham Family 

Until recently, a building constructed in 1927 for Lilian May Markham, the wife of Captain Alfred John Markham, stood on this site.

9. Harvey House & the Roesner Family

The Roesners started a coach building shop in 1900, which went on to become one of Western Australia’s leading businesses. Built in 1913, Harvey House served the town as tearooms, a newsagent, and a confectionery store until the 1940s by ‘Ma’ Roesner.

10. Snell’s Park & Harvey CWA

Snell’s Park is named after Alfred Snell, the Railway District Traffic Superintendent, from 1896 to 1911. The Harvey CWA building was established at this site in 1936.

11. WA Condensed Milk Factory Historic Site 1931

Did you know that Western Australia’s first condensed milk factory was located at the corner of Newell Street and Herbert Road in Harvey?

12. Harvey Western Australian Bank Historic Site 1908

Harvey’s first bank was a small timber cottage established in 1908. This art déco inspired structure was built in 1938.

13. Harvey Co-op 1925

The first Harvey Co-Op was advertised as being drapers, grocers, hardware and produce merchants as early as 1925.

14. Cafe Uduc

Throughout the decades, this California Bungalow has been home to many family-run businesses. It was constructed in 1933 for Vic Feazey as a residence and separate shop, the Excelsior Bakery.

15. Fryer Bros. Store 1922

Established in 1922, Fryer Bros. was a general store in Harvey during the 1920s and 30s run by brothers Doug and Syd Fryer. Part of the building is now Harvey Fish & Chips.

16. Harvey Road Board 1935

Now known as the Shire of Harvey Administration Offices, the Harvey Road Board Offices were added to the Harvey Town Hall in 1935.

17. Harvey Town Hall 1914

The historic Harvey Town Hall is a beautiful, country-style hall with an elegant Camellia-pressed tin ceiling located on the main street of Harvey.

18. Church of England – St Paul’s Anglican Church 1906

Built in 1906, the Church of England was originally natural timber and located at the site of the Harvey Primary School. It moved to this site in 1952.

19. Former Harvey Methodist – Uniting Church 1924

A timber Harvey Methodist Church was built in 1924. It replaced an earlier Mission Hall 1895, which, along with meetings, was also used for church services.

20. Harvey War Memorial

Unveiled in 2015, the beautiful Harvey War Memorial provides a welcoming and respectful place for reflection on the sacrifice of those who served our Country.

21. Harvey War Memorial Library 1921

They erected the War Memorial Library to commemorate those who died in service or killed in action in World War 1 for £900.

22. Harvey Roman Catholic Precinct 1932

Attracting many Italian and Irish immigrants, Harvey has always had a strong Catholic community. Father Lynch laid the foundation stone of the Church of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception in 1932. The Sisters of Mercy Convent and St Anne’s School were built in 1934.

23. Harvey Recreation Grounds 1904

Donated by Drs Harvey and Hayward, Harvey Recreation Ground was established through the hard work of local volunteers. One of the first events on the site was the Harvey Citrus Show in 1904.

24. Old Harvey Primary School 1901

Since 1901, Harvey has operated a school at this site. The original weatherboard is still standing.

 

25. Harvey RSL Hall 1938

Since 1938, the Harvey RSL Hall has provided a refuge for return servicemen.

26. Harvey Public Works Building 1941

The Public Works Department oversaw from this building the undertaking of the Harvey Irrigation Scheme in 1941. It is now home to the Harvey Community Radio.

27. Knowles Store Historic Site 1890s

This is the location of Harvey’s first general store established by John Knowles in the 1890s known as The Busy Bee.

28. McQuade Park

Donated by Drs Harvey and Hayward, Harvey Recreation Ground was established through the hard work of local volunteers. One of the first events on the site was the Harvey Citrus Show in 1904.

29. Korijekup & Harvey Hotel 1898

In 1898, Alexander Smith opened Harvey’s first hotel, behind the site of the present Harvey Hotel. He built a single-storey wooden establishment and named it the Korijekup Hotel.

Back to Top of the page.