Cookernup & Logue Brook History

We are Historic Brooks & Heavy Timber

The town site of Cookernup was gazetted in August 1894 and the town derives its name from a farm established nearby by Joseph Logue in the early 1850s. He settled on a brook that now bears his name.

It was also known as ‘Kokonup’ for many years – the name means either ‘place of the swamp yam’ or ‘place of the swamp hen’ as two origins have been debated, either ‘koka’ the swamp yam or ‘cooki’ the swamp hen.

The town developed rapidly in the late 1890s with the escalation of timber milling in the Cookernup and Logue Brook area and leading to the development of a post office, school, railway station and hall. At the turn of the century, the township and surrounding area had a population of 300.

Done
Done
Done
Done
Search Clear all
0 results found
Back to Top of the page.