Brunswick Junction Railway Precinct Historic Site

Brunswick Junction Railway Precinct Historic Site
In 1893, when the Perth-Bunbury railway was completed, no-one lived in the present-day townsite of Brunswick Junction. In that same year, the Brunswick Siding and Railway Bridge were completed.

The original Siding was situated north of the river, near a group of railway workers’ cottages. Soon after, the Brunswick Farmers’ Association was formed, with a post office and school operating nearby.

In 1898, they opened a junction south of the river when the line to Collie opened, and they built a railway station.

In those days, they considered the railway line from Brunswick to the Collie coalfields to be one of the most scenic lines in Western Australia.

On its arrival at Brunswick, the steam engine from the coalfields had to be turned around to enable it to continue towards Perth of Bunbury. After a turntable, water tanks and coal shuttle were built, Brunswick became an important and busy centre.

The Black Swan Hotel was built across the road east of the station, together with a boarding house positioned near the Bella Road railway crossing.

The precinct continued to grow and in 1941, an impressive two-storey Railway Station was established. At the time, it was the most modern Railway Station in the State Railway System. The Station building had a large refreshment tearoom, offices, waiting rooms, an elevated signal cabin and a large platform.

With changes in time and the Railway Station no longer needed, incredibly 41 years later, in 1982, they dismantled it.

A shelter now stands south of its site for today’s passengers.


  • Wheelchair-accessible entrance
  • Family-friendly
  • Car park
  • Free parking

Brunswick Junction Railway Precinct Historic Site

Back to Top of the page.