Fairlawn House Historic Site 1890

Fairlawn House Historic Site 1890
Private residence (building no longer standing)
Fairlawn House was built in 1890 by John Knowles, the owner of Harvey’s first store.

John Knowles, farmer, postmaster, and storekeeper, came to the district from Somerset, England, with his wife and three daughters. He selected 119 acres, where Uduc Road and the Main Road (South Western Highway) which he named Fairlawn.

In the original plan of the Korijekup Settlement, Fairlawn was the centre of Harvey, but with the advent of the railway, the original plan was altered.

The first Wesleyan services were held in the front of Fairlawn by Rev. Plain, and Congregational services were held there by Rev. Buchanan.

When the local Post Office was badly fire-damaged in 1893, Knowles undertook the collection of mail from coach and rail for distribution from Fairlawn.

In 1898, Captain (later Major) Henry Palmer purchased Fairlawn and renamed the property Meriden.

Note: site location only. House no longer standing.

Fairlawn House Historic Site

  • 1 Uduc Road, Harvey WA 6220
  • Private residence (building no longer standing)
Back to Top of the page.