Christina Street Reserve

Overlooking the Leschenault Estuary, the Christina Street Reserve is a small reserve off Old Coast Road in Australind. It’s the perfect spot for enjoying the serenity of the Estuary and spotting its abundant wildlife, including one of Western Australia’s largest colonies of Black Swans (Cygnus atratus).

The Reserve includes a playground, public toilets, a free RV dump point and 48-hour parking site, and seating.

The location is also a popular morning set-up point for the Big Coffee Van.

History

Meet Christina Clifton (1843 – 1981)

Christina Elinor Clifton was the daughter of Robert Williams Clifton, and the granddaughter of Marshall Waller Clifton, Chief Commissioner of the Western Australian Land Company respectively that first settled Australind.

Born in the ‘Old Settlement’, Australind, Christina was raised between Clifton’s main residences, Upton House and Alverstoke Farm near Brunswick.

She did not marry but devoted her life to being Australind’s postmistress for more than 55 years, from 1863 until 1918 when she died aged 75. Her death ended an era; for the past 102 years, a female member of the Clifton family had conducted the rural post office at Australind.

The post office was first conducted in the dining room by Christina’s aunt, Miss Elinor Katherine Clifton, in 1845. She continued this service until 1862. It was not until 50 years had passed that a special room for postal work was erected.

She died at Upton House and is buried in Australind Pioneer Cemetery.

They named Christina Street Reserve in her honour.

 

 

 

Amenities

  • Wheelchair-accessible carpark
  • Wheelchair-accessible toilets
  • Public toilets
  • Family-friendly
  • Car park
  • Playground
  • Campsites available
  • RV & caravan dump point
Back to Top of the page.