Old Lower Collie River Bridge Jetty

Old Lower Collie River Bridge Jetty
For generations, the Lower Collie River Bridge has provided a crucial link between the settlers of Bunbury and Australind.

The present-day bridge, built in 2010, is the fourth Lower Collie River Bridge, and the Old Timber Jetty (formerly a bridge) was built in the 1960s. The original 1848 bridge was located several hundred metres further west of these, where the Collie River enters the Leschenault Estuary.

The Old Lower Collie River Timber Jetty is an excellent place to fish, particularly black bream, tailor, and mulloway.

This is one of the most accessible spots along the whole waterfront of the Collie River..it’s really the best spot for crabbing if you don’t have a boat and it’s great for young kids who want to go for tailor and crabs.
Mitchell Cooper,  Whitey’s Tackle Australind 


In the 1830-40s, with the opening up of land, there was an urgent need for bridges to allow for the transport of goods to ports and between settlements. Because of a lack of finance and an acute shortage of labour, the Colony’s administrators were struggling to provide essential services.

Mail and goods contractors were forced to take lengthy detours back to the hills to bypass flooded rivers. Others took their carts out past the mouth of the river at low tide, a dangerous tactic which led to drownings.

In 1848, a motion was put in the WA Legislative Council for £150 to be spent on the construction of the Lower Collie River Bridge. The motion was rejected due to the Colony’s greater need for a bridge over the Swan River at Fremantle. However, an agreement was reached shortly after that a bridge would be built with joint contributions from the Government and local settlers.

William Pearce Clifton was put in charge of construction and locals were to provide the labour. By 1849, the bridge was completed for £350. The approaches to this bridge can still be seen today on either side of the river, closer to the river mouth.

The bridge reduced the journey from Australind to Bunbury from twelve to seven miles. However, the site chosen was much closer to the river mouth and regularly flooded.

In the late 1800s, the ageing bridge structure was inadequate in part due to the continuous heavy loads of timber being carted to sawmills.

Although a second, single-lane bridge was built in 1911, some 300 metres upriver, the 1848 bridge remained in position for several years for recreational purposes and also served as a footbridge. The middle section was raised to allow yachts to sail below. Pedestrians had to take steps up over this raised section.

During World War 2, a fear of Japanese invasion led to army recruits being given practice in using explosives by demolishing the bridge.

The second bridge continued to be used until 1962, despite many letters of complaint declaring that it was particularly unsafe for children on the school bus.

In 1962, plans were drawn for the third bridge (now the fishing jetty), just a few metres downriver from the previous one. The bridge was originally a two-lane timber structure, 14 feet wide.

The current bridge was built in 2010.


  • Car park

Old Lower Collie River Bridge Jetty

Back to Top of the page.