Pearce Road Historic Site

Pearce Road Historic Site
Pearce Road is named after pioneer farmer, magistrate, and skilled photographer, William Pearce Clifton.

Pearce was the fourth child of Australind’s first Chief Commissioner, Marshall Waller Clifton, and his wife Elinor, and arrived with his family at the settlement in 1841 on the Parkfield when he was 25 years old.

One of his first projects was the construction of nearby Upton House for his family. In 1844, he married Annette Gaudin and established Ringwood Farm in Australind.

After the failure of the Australind settlement, Pearce began one of Australind’s first businesses with Scott Stirling, establishing an Australind and Bunbury branch of General Merchants, Land and Commission Agents under the firm of Clifton, Stirling and Co in 1842. Pearce also became involved in the early timber business and in 1854 he supplied one thousand loads of wood to Adelaide.

In 1846, Pearce was granted his property near Bunbury Port which he named Leschenault Homestead. With the assistance of Daniel Mcgregor, they dismantled two cottages in Australind and floated them down the river to the site. The Homestead was regarded as a social hub of the district and was a base for the local hunting club.

During his visit to Fremantle, Pearce met HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Alfred, in 1867 and they continued to correspond over the years.

In 1870, he became the Resident Magistrate of Bunbury.

This area is also a significant site for the Wardandi people.

Pearce Road Historic Site

Back to Top of the page.