Wokalup School Commemorative Plaque

Established on land donated by Thomas Hayward Jnr of Bundidup Farm, the Wokalup School opened in January 1915.

Thomas Hayward (1865-1920) was the son of Thomas Hayward, who had established Bundidup, and Chairman of the Road Board.

The Western Australian Education Department built a standard timber single-room school which had canvas awnings for the upper portions of the walls on the corner of Hope Avenue and South Western Highway..

The first teacher was Miss Hazel McClymont.

In 1917, a second school building was constructed to accommodate growing student numbers.

The school was the centre of community life until the construction of the Wokalup Hall in 1920.

In 1936, the school was closed due to declining numbers, and those children remaining were sent to Harvey. The school building was removed shortly afterwards, as the practice of relocating timber buildings was common.

The commemorative plaque was built using stone from Bundidup Farm and was unveiled by Jean Rigg (nee Hayward) at a school reunion in 1993. Eight trees were also planted around the memorial as a tribute to the eight teachers at the Wokalup School.

A time capsule with the history of the school is buried under the plaque.


  • Free parking

Wokalup School Historic Site & Commemorative Plaque

Back to Top of the page.