Lower Brunswick River Bridge 1845

Lower Brunswick River Bridge 1845
The Lower Brunswick River Bridge (the Paris Road Bridge) in Australind was the first bridge built in the South West.

John Septimus Roe surveyed the Brunswick River in 1830 and was likely named by Governor Stirling after the Duke of Brunswick. Stirling commanded HMS Brazen in 1813 when the ship was commissioned to take the Duke of Brunswick to Holland.

When the early pioneers arrived, no bridges over the rivers between Fremantle and Vasse (now Busselton) made travel difficult and dangerous.

Mr William Forrest of Picton, father of John Forrest, the State’s first Premier, was responsible for the bridge’s construction. It opened on 2 March 1845. The Chief Commissioner, Marshall Waller Clifton, was the first to ride over it.

Besides improving travel within the South West, it also allowed Australind pioneer settlers to farm or move from the coastal sandy country to ‘good’ country, near what became known as Brunswick.

Many locals would sit by the river and fish, including Grace Wright of Roseleigh Farm.

The current bridge includes a pedestrian crossing.

There is also a parking bay to the southwest of the bridge, which provides access to the Brunswick River.

Amenities

  • Wheelchair-accessible entrance
  • Dog friendly
  • Family-friendly
  • Car park
  • Free parking

Lower Brunswick River (Paris Road) Bridge 1845

More Inspiration.

Back to Top of the page.