Treendale Farm Historic Site
- 1 Topaz Court, Australind WA 6233
- Open 24 Hours
He took up several holdings, including Location 1, Lot 65 Wellington Road, Lots 4 & 5 Waterloo Road (adjacent to Shenton’s), and towards Roelands, where he grew wheat and potatoes. He named his property Treendale, derived from a combination of Treen’s surname and the dales of his home country or county of Devon, England.
In 1847, he left his farm in the care of Thomas Bedingfield and set off on the Vixen, journeying through Southeast Asia. After many years working in Ceylon and travelling to England, Treen returned to the area in 1861 and became an Assistant Surveyor in the South West. He married Susan Earnshaw of Busselton in 1863 and died in Vasse soon after.
Around the 1860s, the property was leased to Gerald De Courcy Lefroy.
After being rented out for many years, Treendale was finally put up for sale by Susan and Lewis Fitzwilliam Treen. William Spencer, Solicitor of Bunbury, was appointed to act on their behalf, and the property was sold to Robert Henry Rose Jnr in 1897.
Over the years, the owners, boundaries, and holdings of the farming property, Treendale, have altered considerably, with the original property located closer to Roelands.
In 1964, the area now known as Treendale was purchased by the Coote family and was developed in 2003.
Born in 1810, Thomas Treen arrived at Australind on the Island Queen in December 1840 to assist in surveying the new town.
With wife Susan, he had one son, Lewis Fitzwilliam Treen.
Treen died on 22 September 1865 in Perth and is buried in East Perth Cemetery.