Nicklup Farm Historic Site 1889

Nicklup Farm Historic Site 1889
Nicklup Homestead once stood in the Harvey Hills before it was demolished in the year 2000 as part of the Harvey Dam redevelopment.

James and Isabella Taylor established Nicklup Farm early in 1889.

They arrived from Victoria with five young children and another six children were born while living at Nicklup, including Richard, Andrew, Robert, William, Henry, Sydney, Annie, Len, Albert, Lillian and Alma.

The older children were educated at home until Cookernup School opened in 1895.

When Harvey School opened in 1899, William, Henry, Sydney and Annie Taylor were all enrolled on the first day.

In time, the younger ones were also educated at Harvey School, driving themselves to school in a horse and sulky.

Using horses for farm work and learning other necessary skills such as blacksmithing, leather work, tanning skins and hides, breaking in horses, cropping, planting and maintaining vegetables and many varieties of fruit trees were part of life by members of the pioneering Taylor family.

Henry and Albert both ended up as farmers in Uduc, while Syd and Len later became carriers in the district.

James and Isabella are both buried in Harvey Cemetery.

A causeway of the Harvey Dam was named in honour of the homestead after it was flooded.

Nicklup Farm Historic Site 1889

  • Harvey-Quindanning Road, Harvey WA 6220
  • Not accessible
Back to Top of the page.