Harvey River Bridge

Harvey River Bridge
The Harvey River Bridge has always provided a crucial connection between the town and Perth. Information is scarce on when the first bridge was constructed at this spot.


According to Harvey residents this bridge was built when the South Western Highway was being constructed with convict labor in the 1860s. One source has suggested that the convicts employed on the project inadvertently “frightened May Gibbs”, whose family property, (Formally owned by Captain James Stirling) were situated near the site now occupied by the Harvey Agricultural College (ED Note – old Harvey Internment Camp site). It is a Jarrah Log Bridge supported on log piles driven into the river bed with cross bracings and Jarrah plank decking. Square section wooden handrail lay diagonally on timber posts attached to the bridge beams and with steel crash barrier attached on the inner side of the balustrade.

Reflections of Harvey

A small horse and cart bridge existed in the early 1900s. By 1931, a more robust bridge was constructed the Main Roads Department. At that time, the South Western Highway was known as the Armadale Pemberton Road (Road 517).

The bridge was constructed of timber and was originally 15ft between the kerbs before being widened in 1957.

A new concrete overlay was constructed in 2012.

A pedestrian path under the bridge now connects The Jungle Reserve & Rest Area to the Stirling Cottage Gardens Precinct.

Harvey River Bridge

  • South Western Highway, Harvey WA 6220
  • Open 24 Hours
Back to Top of the page.